Herbert Johnson Collection
SS2 Clipper Poet
Ordering This Product
Herbert Johnson are delighted to present our Clipper Poet hat style as part of our Sample Sale Collection. This hat is ready and available to ship right away at a great value price. Only limited stock and sizes available so get them while you can!
The iconic Herbert Johnson grey Clipper Poet as worn by Harrison Ford in the film ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’. Originally made by Herbert Johnson for the film and still produced today. Made from steel grey fine rabbit fur felt finished with a black ribbon.
- Felt: Steel grey pure rabbit fur felt
- Brim: SA Dimensional
- Ribbon: Original 1½" black galloon ribbon-band with screen accurate bow-style
- Interior: Branded liner & soft leather sweatband
- Bash: Hand-bashed Raiders style
Made with the men's left sided bow as standard as in this display option
This is a ready to wear stock item, sold as seen and ready to ship.
Limited availability and sizes at this price. If the item is displaying as Sold Out, please contact our Hatting Department via email@example.com to make enquiries or get a quote for recreating this style bespoke handcrafted to your preferences.
This product has been handcrafted for stock by our specialist hatting team at Herbert Johnson. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to check our current lead time for this product.
Place the string or tape around your head above your ear and across the mid forehead, completely circling your head. Hold the tape firmly, but not too tightly. Measure your head exactly where you want the hat to sit. Measure in centimetres. If your measurement falls between sizes, round up to the nearest centimetre. It may help to either do this in the mirror or have someone to help for accuracy.
All our Raiders Poets come with the ‘Raiders Bash’* & without ‘The Turn’* as standard.
Raiders Bash* - A tight tall pinch down to the ribbon with large front side dents & a centre crease.
The Turn* - A change made to the hat during filming whereby the hat was turned on the head and worn with the bow shifted right from its original position and with a distorted brim. Customers are advised to order their hats delivered open crown as ‘bespoke orders’ should they wish to put the turn in themselves.
NB – If the Customer wishes to order something which varies from the standard options provided in the product listing (such as this model in a different colour or with the addition of a bound edge etc.), their order will need to be placed as a ‘Bespoke’ order. Please follow the link for more information about our Bespoke Range
All our hats are completely bespoke & handcrafted to order from only the finest sustainably sourced materials here at Herbert Johnson. We work closely with our fur felt hood suppliers in Portugal, choosing only the highest quality fur felt which is ordered to our exacting specifications.
All our felts are preshrunk during the blocking stage to avoid later shrinking as much as possible. Our rabbit is pounced to a smooth finish and a coating of protector is applied to prolong its resistance to the elements. Whilst not as dense as our beaver fur felts, our rabbit makes a very fine quality fur felt hat.
Our true galloon Indy ribbon is screen accurate to our original film hats, still produced to the same specifications for us using the very same loom machines that made the ribbon for our original screen used hats.
A note on Lead Times for our Handcrafted Hats
- Lead times are variable depending on our current volume of new orders being received.
- Please note that our handcrafters fulfil orders on a first come first served basis.
- When new orders are received at our Hatting Workshop, they are entered into our making schedule in the next available position in the queue.
- Once your order reaches the front of the queue, it will take approximately 10 days to be handcrafted to order by our specialist hatting team at Herbert Johnson.
- The wait time for our handcrafted hats is normally between 2-8 weeks but please be aware that this is subject to change.
- The wait time for our handcrafted custom bespoke orders may be longer depending on what materials & supplies may need to be specially ordered in to fulfil the order.
- If you would like to inquire about our current expected lead time for your order, please contact the hatting workshop directly via email@example.com
- If you are hoping to order your hat for a particular event, please ensure you make your order in plenty of time prior to your deadline. Please inform our hatting workshop directly if your order is time sensitive and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Postage & Packaging:
- Once ordered you will be notified of the lead time.
- Our hats are carefully packaged in cardboard postal boxes for dispatch internationally.
- We ship worldwide.
- We calculate delivery costs based on the weight of each product and country to which the item is to be posted.
- Postage costs may be included in the purchase price for some items.
Store your hat somewhere dry placed brim down or preferably in a hat box. We recommend using a soft bristled hat or clothes brush to care for your hat. Brush your hat counter clockwise to free any particles from the felt. Avoid handling your hat by the crown as you could wear out the front pinch. Holding your hat by the brim is the best way to handle any hat or by gently cradling the crown in an open palm. Whilst we preshrink all our hats, under extreme moisture conditions the felt may still be vulnerable to shrinkage or losing its shape if not properly cared for. We advise against force drying your hat and it is best to allow it to dry naturally brim side down. For more advanced cleaning needs and repair work, please consult your Hatter.