Repairs & Refurbishment Procedure
All of our products are made with craftsmanship perfected over decades, and with that we offer restorations and repairs to all our goods. This can also cover products that are not our own.
You can deliver your item to the Herbert Johnson Hatters London Piccadilly store by hand or shipment, and their team will make sure your item is delivered safely to our workshops to be assessed.
If you wish to ship your item, please send it to:
The Herbert Johnson Hatters Workshop, c/o Swaine Adeney Brigg,
7 Piccadilly Arcade, London, SW1Y 6NH, United Kingdom
When shipping your item, please include your name, email, telephone number and return shipping address clearly stated inside your parcel, including a brief explanation of what you wish to be repaired.
For our international customers, please read the following carefully!
International packages are liable to be ceased by customs officials and may accrue charges. To help avoid this, we recommend that you please state very clearly to your chosen courier, marked clearly on the outside of the package that the item is not new and is being returned for repair. It may also be prudent to insure the package separately for its value rather than to mark the package with a high value as a marked value of over $15 dollars is likely to accrue charges. Following these guidelines will help but are still no guarantee that your package will not be held at customs, and we are not responsible for paying any customs charges for your parcel to be released. In the unfortunate event that your item is charged by customs, we will notify you of this ASAP. An invoice to cover the agreed repair/refurbishment work plus any accrued custom charges will be sent on to you for completion of payment.
Upon its safe arrival in our store, our shop team will contact you to inform you of its assigned repair docket number, and it will then be sent to our workshops for its assessment. Your quote will be sent to you within 1-2 weeks of its arrival.
If you are happy with your quote, we will need a 50% deposit paid, upon which our hatters will be notified of the go ahead to your repair. If you have any queries about your quote, our team will happily go through all the details with you, and no work will be carried out without your permission.
Our lead times for repairs is approximately 4-6 weeks from the go ahead (this may be longer if any specialist supplies need to be sourced to complete the work).
You will be notified when the repair is safely back in store, and is ready for its return shipment or collection.
Terms & Conditions
Our craftsman have perfected their craft for decades, and their superior knowledge means our repairs are highly sort after. However, there are always limitations, so please do read the following information carefully about our refurbishments & repairs prior to enlisting our services.
- Our skilled hatters will exercise utmost care in processing items entrusted to them and use such processes that they feel are best suited to the nature and condition of each item. Nevertheless, our hatters cannot assume responsibility for the inherent weaknesses of or defects in materials that are not readily apparent prior to processing. This applies particularly, but not exclusively to, fur felts, wool felts, felt blends, suedes, leathers, hatbands or any other accoutrements attached to the items to be cleaned, blocked or repaired. Please be aware that wear and age can affect the suitability of a hat and its components for repair and may not be discovered as such until the process of repair is underway.
- Should an item or component perish during repair processes we can, if appropriate, quote for replacement of said perished component with new or alternatively we reserve the right to halt repair and return the item.
- Our hatters will use reasonable efforts to try to ensure that cleaning, blocking, repair or other hat related work is maintained at a high level of quality.
- Herbert Johnson accepts no liability for damage due to normal wear and tear or shrinkage during cleaning and drying of said hats.
- Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee removal of all stains when carrying out cleaning.
- We also do not guarantee against damage of weak and perished felts, fabrics, leather and components when undergoing repair processes.
- We ask each customer to please determine whether they can accept the risks and therefore the potential loss of any item sent into us for repair.
If deciding to send us an item for repair, please read the following document Hat Repair Terms & Conditions and wherever possible, please sign and included it inside your parcel with your hat for repair. Alternatively, please email a copy of this document accompanied by your brief statement of agreement & understanding of the terms to email@example.com. If emailing your form, please remember to also include details such as your name, address and repair docket number to allow us to marry up your form with your repair.
If you have any further questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Hat Repairs, or if you have any questions and you would like to discuss it directly with our hatter about a repair or refurbishment, please email email@example.com
Please go to our FAQ's page for more information.
An example of one of our refurbishments on a customers old and well loved hat. The collage on the left shows the before photos of the hat and the collage on the right shows the hat after it received our professional refurbishment services.